Guide on Best ATV Helmets for Riding
When in the beginner’s phase, many riders might be reluctant about using ATV Helmets. They wouldn’t be aware yet that handling an ATV is not at all easy. Due to its off-road dedicated build-up, the vehicle is very different from any other vehicle you would have driven before. Riding an ATV without ATV Helmets or any safety gear is a risky gamble. The ATV is being used for many purposes nowadays but the basic functionality remains the same, off-road traveling on all kinds of terrains.
For being an adventurous vehicle it can often influence the rider to drive beyond recommendations. Taking more risks and riding beyond the skill set definitely call for something and that are safety gears. At least ATV Helmets need to be used while riding as the terrains are unpredictable and unclear most of the time. Check top 5 best ATV Helmet review and complete ATV Helmet buying guide..
People often compare ATV’s to dirt bikes but they are very different vehicles in terms of proper skill handling. Riding a dirt bike is way tougher and this makes ATV’s more common ones to choose for off-road adventures. Due to its stable structure, amateur riders will feel less at risk to boost up the speed. But this would often end up in great injuries and that is proven repeatedly in the past.
Acts like speed cornering and ATV jumps are something that should be tried out only when you are an expert in riding off-road vehicles. Still, then you would need ATV riding helmets for safety. Taking risks in life is a very brave thing, but doing it with intelligence and safety is way more important.
You will be surprised to know how many deaths are caused by motorcycle/ATV road accidents and in a lot of those cases, not wearing a helmet has emerged as one of the primary reasons for the death. There are enough statistics that can substantiate what we are saying, so we won’t get into that.
We also understand that with an ATV, comes a tremendous sense of freedom, and sometimes in the exhilaration of it all, we tend to forget about the obvious safety measures. This is why it is all the more important to keep reminding ourselves that precaution travels alongside freedom and without either, all we will get is an incomplete experience.
So, on that rather somber note, let’s discuss what the primary and the additional benefits of wearing a helmet are.
Benefits of having an ATV Helmet
- First things first, a helmet allows you to shield your head from gravel, dirt, and any other material that could be flung at you when you are off-roading. It can also, to a very large extent, reduce the intensity of the impact from an overhanging branch of a tree or an outcrop.
- If you invest in a full-face helmet, then you can also protect your mouth, chin, or your nose from making sudden contact with the handlebars or the steering wheel, if there is an unexpected stop.
- This is something that experienced and seasoned riders will understand- it covers most of your head and it also protects your scalp from the UV rays which can be extremely harmful to your scalp and for men, can lead to premature hair loss. (sorry, we had to put it out there)
- As much as one enjoys the wind, it is that very wind that leads to extreme tiredness in a short period. Observe this for yourself. Go without a helmet for about half an hour and compare the exhaustion as to when you do wear a helmet. The principle of Aerodynamics can explain this a lot better than we can- Air can easily pass through smoothly due to its slippery surface and you will be faced with lesser wind resistance. Pretty cool, eh?
- Your skin will definitely stay a lot fresher, but this is only if you are wearing a full-face helmet with a visor.
- If you buy a dual visor helmet, you are going to find less need to wear goggles. Sure, goggles do look cool inside a helmet, but they can become an annoyance very fast when putting on or taking off a helmet.
- Well, you know that with owning an ATV, comes the opportunity to look really cool. There are so many helmets out there, with cool and customizable designs, that can make the entire process of purchasing and wearing, a really enjoyable one.
Type of ATV Helmets Available
Before setting off in search of the best Atv riding helmets it is informative to know what kinds of ATV helmets are there in the market today. As ATV’s are being used nowadays for professional racing tracks, in agriculture, and even by forest departments, it is required to choose Atv riding helmets based on your purpose and variant of riding. The common types of ATV helmets are as follows:
1. Open Face Helmets
The open-face type is the ATV helmet with visor. The open-face types often come with built-in visors which act as protection against debris and weather conditions that make vision unclear. Open face type ATV helmet with visor also comes with the removable feature of the shield or visor. Partial visor helmets are also available which cover just the eyes..
Well, open-face helmets, were at one point quite the style statement. There are several riders out there, who still prefer the open-face helmets as opposed to the full-face ones because the rush that one can feel in one experience far outweighs the risks involved with it. BUT full-face helmets can be dangerous and only if you understand the dangers completely, should you go for this kind of helmet.
However, the open-face helmets are a good option, if you are planning on a slow ride along the woods or plan on taking your partner for a nice picnic along-side the country. Another additional benefit of these open-face helmets is how you can use them with kids, especially if you want to introduce them to safe ATV riding at an early age. A full-face helmet can be a bit problematic for the child, as they might feel claustrophobic, however, with an open-face helmet, they will absorb the subtle message of safety while enjoying the ATV.
2. Modular Helmets
The modular type ATV Helmets are severely versatile. There is a hinge present allowing a convertible option to an open face helmet to catch some air. The modular helmets are although not considered lacking some percentage in safety when compared to other types. The chin bar present is movable and advised by experts to keep in the ideal position without much changing.
3. Off-Road Kind Helmet
This type of helmet is the most dedicated type of ATV helmet which covers the entire face. The off-road kind is one of the safest helmets out there to ride ATV’s. The facial region cutting allows proper visual of the road and the design offers very rigid protection to your head.
Off-road helmets, also known as moto-cross helmets are designed to look and feel like full-face helmets, however the only difference being, that they don’t come with a built-in visor. The reason for them not having an in-built visor is because they are meant for providing complete ventilation, which is not possible with a visor.
When you are wearing an off-road helmet, then it is imperative to invest in goggles for obvious reasons. Off-road helmets are also not suitable for your everyday use and this is because they don’t provide you with overall sound protection which can have an impact on your confidence levels when you are driving an ATV.
However, if your idea is to make an enchanting path along the woods, then these are your best choice because they have a sun-gap built-in which will protect you from the sun as well an unanticipated fall from a tree branch.
4. Half Helmets
This variant of helmets is capable of only protecting the upper and rear portion of the head, thus offers half the protection in comparison to other types. They are available at low price tags and are very light in weight. The helmet is strong against damage but the exposure of the facial regions when worn doesn’t make it a suitable choice for off-road riding.
5. Full Face Helmets
The helmets which offer the highest amount of protection will be the full face variants. They protect your head in a much efficient way for its design. There is just one drawback, they are a bit heavier than other helmets. If you have a strong neck and have experience with heavy helmets then you can go for it. ATV helmet with visor is more common in open face variants in kind.
Full-face helmets would cover your entire face. This is the safest option available when it comes to ATV Helmets. Here, your vision would be protected by an inner layer of Acrylic Visor, which is a built-in feature. This very feature will also block even one inch of rain or snow from entering your face, so you can be rest assured, that you don’t have to worry about your skin one bit while wearing this one. One obvious concern that you could have is, what if you find yourself gasping for air?
Well, you don’t have to worry about this, because it comes with an excellent ventilation system, which will also take care of the sweat accumulating around your head and neck region.
The other great feature of these helmets is the chin bar. The chin bar has been designed specifically to act as a protection layer for your chin when you are on rocky, uneven terrain.
Additional Benefits of using Full Face ATV Helmets
- Comfort is usually what a lot of riders’ attribute to this helmet. This is because it fits very nicely onto your face and even though it can be quite snug, it is not uncomfortable. It also ensures that your head isn’t bobbing around on the inside, especially if you are in an accident.
- If you are not a fan of the wind crashing and slashing across your face, then this is the ideal option for you. Wind noise can also be a very distracting phenomenon when you are riding on a trail. Many full-face helmets come with wind noise reduction technology which can be extremely helpful. With technology showing us the way, it is also possible to get wind-jammers, which is a silicone band that you can place between you and the helmet, blocking the wind up to almost 97%.
How to choose an ATV Helmet
Our Litmus Test For choosing the ideal Helmet
Choosing the right size
ATV helmets should fit comfortably on your head. That really is the primary concern that you should be pre-occupied with.
Determining the size of your helmet is a great way of ensuring whether the helmet is the right size for you. ATV helmets vary from one manufacturer to the other and it is always better to take a helmet that is either one size larger or smaller than what you have measured.
Things to be careful about
- If the helmet shakes, then it is not the right size for you.
- Just as with observing the pinch on your toes, when you are selecting a shoe, in the same way, with an ATV helmet, if you feel a pinch on your forehead, cheeks, and your chin, the size isn’t right.
- Your thumb should not fit in between your helmet and your forehead.
- You must ensure ventilation and the proper way to do that is to apply the one-finger technique.
Any helmet that you are choosing, has to adhere to and be certified to meet the prescribed safety standards. This makes a huge difference to the longevity, durability, and protection that you would need. The two certifications that you should be looking for are DOT and SNELL.If you are getting a face shield with your helmet, then you need to ensure that the face shield is certified as well. There are separate standards for face shields, which will ensure maximum protection from impact on the face and eyes.
We cannot stress the importance of safety enough. The main component that lines a helmet from the inside, is the EPS lining. This is a hard, durable Styrofoam-like cushion lining that is responsible for absorbing the impacts.
There is a minimum amount of EPS lining that has to meet certification standards, however, while choosing a helmet, it would be great if you could choose a helmet with a thicker EPS and ensure that it spreads across the helmet and the chin bar.
Used V/S New Helmets
Several schools of thought will oppose the idea of used helmets, while you will find several others recommending it. However, there are pros and cons to buying a used helmet and the one that we will highlight here is that ideally a helmet should be replaced within 5 years of use, although there are manufacturers that would recommend that you do it before that.
You should know what to do if you find a helmet with a lot of dents and cracks. This means that it will not give you the required protection that you need and should not be considered.
In the same way, several used helmets have not been used by their owners as frequently and if you do manage to get a decent price for it, then go for it. Always remember to do the litmus test before you zero in on one.
The final stage of the litmus test, after following the recommended steps, is to see how your skin responds to it. At the end of the day, it is going to be something that your body and your skin have to be OK with. There can be certain chemicals in the helmet that do not react positively to your skin and you will only find that out if you put on the helmet for 5 minutes.
5 minutes because that is the minimum amount of time that your skin will take to raise red flags, as heat and sweat will start mingling with the helmet. If there is any kind of redness or itchiness as an allergic reaction, then that is your cue for saying a big fat no to that helmet.
Difference between ATV Helmet and Motorcycle Helmet
After knowing about so many helmets you might again ask the question-How do I choose the best ATV Helmet?. Well, in that case, you should give priority to the first helmet mentioned in every section. Before you leave a quick knowledge will help you better understand and explain to your pals about helmets for ATVs. Many people don’t think there exists any difference between ATV and Motorcycle helmets. In that space, they are not totally wrong.
Several helmets in the market are tagged as ATV helmets but in reality, they are only conventional helmets for Motorcycles. The key features that serve the purpose of an ATV helmet should have a strong chin guard, great air circulation design, and a large open face so that googles can be used which are necessary for trail riding. The right features which serve as a motorcycle helmet include being ideally aerodynamic, a full face covering visor, and uncomplicated in design.
Best ATV Helmets
It is no surprise that something like All Terrain Vehicles would attract the youths mostly in the age spectrum. Due to market demands, ATV Helmet manufacturing companies have introduced plenty of youth models. Experts have to put huge efforts to find the Best atv helmets for the youth among ATV Helmets Compared and Reviewed. So the best among all for the youth are mentioned below:
1. Fox ATV Helmets
A lot of expert riders and fame-stricken racers from all over the world have preferred the fox racing helmets over the others. This faith of experts has shown its credibility to the globe. But among Fox atv helmets the one helmet that really stands out for the youth is the Fox Racing V1 Matte Youth. This version of the helmet is a redesign of another adult helmet from the same brand.
The helmet has a powerful Magnetic Visor Release System which is present to handle the forces of rotation during a crash. The air circulation in the V1 Matte Youth model is much improved keeping your head comfortable and manages the sweat easily with the moisture management design. If you are rolling in a hot climate there isn’t much to worry about if you have this helmet with you.
The cheek pads and the liner present are washable after you remove them simply from the helmet. The graphics print is mostly the same as the adult range but some fascinating youth dedicated designs are available for the young and wild. The helmet is light in weight and thus much suitable for very young riders. The cost is around 130 dollars, which seems very much appropriate based on the features.
2. Thor sector bomber
The helmets from Thor company are well designed and serves the purpose very well. They specialize in various motocross and off-road traveling gear. They are much affordable and sit in the lower belt in terms of budget. But the Thor Sector Bomber helmet has to be the best youth helmet in a low price range. The best features of the helmet can be listed as below:
1. The helmet has escalated ventilation with filters for air circulations.
2. Brain Protection System is equipped in the helmet to absorb shocks.
3. Visor is present which is totally adjustable.
4. The shell shape at the back helps in easy adjustments of google straps.
5. A perfect rubber nose piece is present in the helmet.
3.Answer AR1 Racing helmet
The answer racing company is one of the most experienced ATV helmet manufacturing companies today. It has always has been their objective to provide off-road racing fans with equipment that can be fully trusted. The helmet should rank within the top 5 among ATV Helmets Compared and Reviewed for the youth. The best features of the AR1 are mentioned below:
1. Four exhaust vents are present at the back along with two cavities of air circulation in front.
2. Abides by all safety standards like DOT FMVSS and ECE 22-05.
3. Moisture handling fabrics are used in making the liner which makes the liner washable.
4. Injection-molded ABS used in shell creation.
5. Lightweight of only 3.15 lbs.
4. Fly racing kinetic helmet
This helmet is one of the Best ATV Helmet under $100. Many might ignore this helmet for its low price but this helmet is nearly flawless even at that price. It is not their fault, there remain several cheap helmets in the market claiming to offer you the same protection as priced ones, but most would severely fail to serve the purpose. But the kinetic helmets for youth have proved themselves and are now a reputed manufacturer of riding gears. The most amazing features of Fly Racing Kinetic Junior are listed here:
· EPS liner present with dual density feature.
· The polymer shell is very light in weight.
· The helmet is approved by ACU gold.
· A proper nose guard is present.
· Very much affordable in terms of price.
5.Airoh Aviator J ATV Helmets.
The Airoh brand has two dedicated youth models in the market which have a higher price range than their other helmets. The brand is reputed and has been building powerful accessories to have a bigger impact on the off-road riding market. The helmet they sell does come with extra accessories like vent covers, a peak extension, a kit of screws and tools. The airoh helmet juniors have various features, most of them are listed here:
· Ground-breaking air-flow system with innovative design.
· Multi-axial carbon fiber shell.
· Separately washable anti-sand filter fitted with the guard for the chin.
· The lightest helmet among all.
· The set of lining is washable.
· Several accessories with the helmet are provided which balances the price.
The Best ATV Helmet under $100
If you go searching for helmets that have amazing designs and premium brand prints then you need to have a good budget of above $100. The helmets in the low budget range will not be as stylish as the high budget ones but the best ones will do offer protection from damage which remains the prime purpose of an ATV helmet.
If you need to ride really long distances then you will need helmets with premium features for elevated comfort. If you travel short distances and you are fine with mid-level comfort then helmets under $100 would be a great buy for you. According to bikersrights.com intensive research, the top five helmets in the low budget belt are given below:
1.Storm Motorcycle Modular
Except for the wonderful features the most astonishing feature is that the helmets are also available in varying styles and colors. The best features of them are:
· The soft padding keeps present keeps your head in comfort.
· The padding is washable after the removal.
· Shell is made from durable alloy with properties similar to thermoplastic.
· Dual visor system for all-time protection.
· The helmet is DOT approved like premium brands.
· About every type of head size will feel comfortable in this helmet.
You can check out the product on amazon.
2. The ILM Full face street bike
This helmet can be labeled as the best budget helmet for winter. In the winter the all others helmet do protect your head from the freezing winds passing by but they seldom protect your neck. The ILM helmet comes with a well-fitted winter scarf to protect your neck as well. The best features of this helmet are as follows:
· The helmet has an advanced ABS shell keeping the helmet light in weight but strong in use.
· The dual visor feature helps to cope with different weather states.
· The aerodynamic design kills out the constant windy sounds.
· Removable and washable pads are present in the helmet.
The product is available on amazon.
3. The ILM Motorcycle Dual Visor
Yes, according to experts two helmets from ILM should be in the top five ATV helmets to be bought under 100 dollars. This model has all the features mentioned in the previous ILM full-face street motorcycle but has additional surprising features. The previous model mentioned the visor is much prone to scratches but not in this model. The helmet has an anti-fog facility which is not very common among all helmets. The other great features of the helmet will be:
· The high-tier ABS shell is present which makes the helmet light and durable in strength.
· A LED feature is present in the rear making the helmet more stylish and vibrant in the dark.
· The intensity and color of the LED light are customizable according to the user’s choice.
· Dual visor system present.
· Comfortable inner padding.
· Wind cancellation to keep your ears at ease.
The product is available on amazon.
4. WOW full-face motorcycle helmet
These helmets are often praised as the most gorgeous helmets in a budget below 100 dollars. The designs are unique and well-toned. The shapes of the WOW helmets are very simple yet very elegant. Although the black helmets stay in most demand, you can try out more unique designs from them too. The other more important functionalities of the helmet are as follows:
· Has heavily cushioned interiors for ultimate comfort.
· All the paddings are removable and washable.
· Aerodynamic shape with strong alloy shell.
· Various color and design options.
· Extra cushioning provides extra protection.
The product is available on amazon.
5. Vega Helmets warrior half helmet
You might have already got the answer on What are the best ATV Helmets. But knowing a little more will give you an edge over others in helmet selection. The last selection for the top five low-budget helmets ends with a robust half helmet from the Vega brand.
If you prefer half helmets and find comfort in them. This Vega helmet will be the best choice for under 100 dollars. The helmet comes with just as many features in a full helmet and maybe even more compared to some exaggerated helmets. The best features of the helmet are as follows:
· Very light in weight with strap in the rear for tightening.
· The chin strap also helps in maintaining the firm position of the helmet on your head.
· They have a sun shield which is perfect in design.
· The liner has sweat absorption features.
· The air ventilation is also well structured.
· Exceeds DOT standards.
The product can be bought at amazon.
Best ATV Helmet for Dust
If you enjoy trail riding with your ATV or you are planning to do so then you might be confused about- How do I choose the best ATV helmet? . Truckofmine.com has researched helmets that are best suited for trail riding to offer protection from all the dust and debris. It is necessary to keep your body apart from the dust wind as much as possible. Too much dust inhalation can cause damage to your respiratory system.
Too much dust can disturb your vision even if you are using ATV helmets with googles. Although the prime task of helmets shouldn’t get compromised either while prioritizing dust protection. Experts have researched and solved your question about What are the best ATV Helmets you can buy for trail riding without worrying about dust. The best helmets listed are as follows:
· LS2 Helmets Pioneer Trigger Adventure Helmet- Many experts have prized this helmet as the Best atv helmet for dust. The helmet has several features which makes it the ideal helmet for trail riding. The best features are as follows:
· The helmet is equipped with a sun guard and a wide eye port to wear the ATV helmets with googles much comfortably.
· Approved by DOT for abiding by standards of DOT and ECE 22.05.
· The cheek pads have an emergency release system for easily taking off the helmet.
· A super-strong shell is built using LS2’s Kinetic Polymer Alloy.
· The liner present has several dense layers for EPS safety and has exceptional shock absorption capacity.
1.BELL MX-9 Adventure MIPS Helmet
The Bell brand is highly reputed for its products and has excellent features. The best features of them are listed below:
· A versatile shield is present which is removable.
· The shield is equipped with features like anti-scratch, fog-resistance and also offers UV protection.
· The helmet uses slip-plane technology in the impact protection system to reduce rotating forces.
· Sturdy polycarbonate shell which is also light in weight.
· A unique flying bridge visor is present.
· The helmet is DOT approved.
2.ARAI XD4 Helmet
The ARAI brand not only delivers excellent riding gear but also has a patented Dry-Cool technology that does the work to keep the helmet area cool and airy, which is most effective for the months of summer. The other attractive features of the ARAI XD4 helmets are as follows:
· The interior liners are removable and washable.
· Unique Facial contour support system embedded in the cheek pad design.
· Exhaust ports and Top-diffuser-vent ports are present for temperature regulation.
· The brow vent face is uncommon and sirs the temple region of your head.
· The aerodynamic features are executed due to the intermediate oval shape.
3.Scorpion AT950 ATV helmet
The scorpion helmet modeled AT950 has an exceptional design that perfectly suits terrain riding with ATVs. The most highlighted features are given here:
· Has a wide eye port for enhanced peripheral vision and down-angle vision readings.
· The modular-style chin bar is capable of being flipped up.
· A customized sun visor is present.
· Moisture control lining helps with more comfort.
· The helmet is also fog resistant.
Something as adventurous as ATV riding should be enjoyed to the fullest and for that, your mind needs to be free from worries. Getting one of the best helmets recommended by experts will keep your mind more at ease. If your budget is low that won’t be a factor even because a lot of great helmets are available for 100 dollars and even lower prices. ATV’s being dedicated to off-road vehicles require more safety and you shouldn’t be reckless in this matter. Getting the perfect safety gear will enhance your riding experience and provide fewer risk factors.
This is all we have for now. There are several ATV helmets out there, across different specifications and here, we have covered just a few of them. It is important to know that there are several helmets out there, for different age groups, different price ranges and there are enough options to make a choice you would be happy with.
If there is anything that you would like to know more about or would want more details on the different kinds of ATV helmets available at different price ranges, give us a click and we will have that ready for you. Keep riding!