How do you clean the carburetor on an Arctic CAT ATV?
Before you are learning How do you clean the carburetor on an Arctic CAT ATV , you need to have a tool kit by your side or a rebuild/repair kit to ensure that you know what you are doing. Now, cleaning your carburetor can be a tough call on any day and depending on the condition of your vehicle, be either a very easy task done in a couple of hours OR a very time-consuming task, taking a lot more time than you anticipated.
Either way, we are going to list out a few things that you could possibly call a protocol of sorts, to help you do this faster and more efficiently.
Essential things to keep handy during your carburetor cleaning:
- An exploded diagram for re-assembly
- Carburetor cleaner with straw and with wires
- Metal container or a gallon of carb cleaner
- Compressed Air
- Pipe cleaners (If you can find your hands on them)
The first step when you are cleaning out your carburetor is to dismantle and de-assemble everything with screws. If you are not used to cleaning your carburetor often, then don’t be too surprised if it is filled with rust. The procedure below is going to illustrate what you can do when you have a really bad carb and a step-by-step guide of how you can deal with it. We have had carburetors that have rusted fuel accelerators, gauges, diaphragms, gaskets, and needle rings that have been filled with rust. The good part is that all of this can be fixed and you can have your carburetor almost back in a shiny, new condition.
[amalinkspro type=”showcase” asin=”B081ZY5Y3X” apilink=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ZY5Y3X?tag=atvtrailreviews-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1″ new-window=”true” addtocart=”false” nofollow=”true” sc-id=”4″ imgs=”LargeImage” link-imgs=”false” specs=”★FITMENT – For Arctic Cat ATV 500 2000-2003~~~★REPLACE PART NUMBER -0470-449~~~★EASY INSTALLATION – Easy to install and fire up immediately, NO surge and sputter.Please do make sure fuel is pure enough before installation.~~~★HIGH QUALITY – Great stability and durability.~~~★PACKAGE INCLUDES – as the picture show,24 hours after-sales service” btn-color=”#ff9900″ btn-text=”Buy on Amazon” alignment=”alignnone” hide-prime=”0″ hide-image=”0″ hide-price=”0″ hide-button=”0″ width=”750″]NO7RUBAN Carburetor Fits For Arctic Cat ATV 2000-2003 500 500cc 2×4 4×4 Carb Replace 0470-449[/amalinkspro]
Steps to follow for your Arctic Cat 500 Carb problem:
- First things first take all the jets out. The main starter, the pilot, and the full seat. Ensure that you remove the float very carefully. This is because the float is attached to a rubber tip and if that breaks, you have another problem to worry about.
- The next step is to pull the needle valve and the diaphragm. The needle comes with a slide that acts as a meter for the fuel. It has a slide and is tapered towards the end.
- Once again, you must be careful while you are pulling out the diaphragm because sometimes, one can have a tendency to just rip it off when it doesn’t come off properly. Instead of doing that, ensure that the diaphragm detaches itself properly. Keep going around the circle carefully, till it comes off loose.
- Invest in a good carburetor cleaner and maybe carry a small piece of wire with you to get into those tiny holes that you will find around the sidewall of the carburetor.
- Spray clean all the parts that you have dismantled with compressed air to ensure that they are clean and ready to re-assemble easily.
- Let it stay in the cleaner for a few fours. Better still if you can keep it overnight. Remove any rubber material from the overnight mix. It is only metal which can stay in the cleaner.
- Once you have soaked it overnight, it is now time for you to take out the float bowl and check if the needle with the rubber tip is smooth and shiny. If there is the slightest trace of a green-like substance, then ensure that you clean it out again. This, if not done, has the potential to cause fuel leakages or other problems.
- Clean all the jet holes and take a piece of sandpaper to cover the wire with. Push the wire firmly around the jet holes for you to see if there any other cleaning required. If you see any place for cleaning, use the spray cleaner to clean out that area.
- This calls for another round of compressed air cleaning. Ensure that no loose rings are lying around and once you have done that; you can start your work on the re-assembly.
Re-assembling the carburetor
Re-assembling the carburetor is a bigger concern than pulling it apart. It is fairly easy to pull it apart, however, the challenge arises when we have forgotten to take note of which small part goes where. The tendency can be to pull apart the pilot screw out without counting the number of turns. There are a small ring and a small washer along with a spring and it is usually kept outside the carburetor. It is better to keep a full-blown diagram in front of you as you are preparing to re-assemble. You can find the settings for your re-installation online as well. You are going to see a lot of hoses and wires that are connected to your carburetor. The smart thing to do is to take pictures of it while you are dismantling it. The important thing to understand is that it is probably going to take you at least a few tries before you get it right.
We hope that the above description was helpful in you knowing what it is that you must do to clean out your carburetor with ease. Ensure that you can pay attention to the assembly and the de-assembly because that can be tricky, especially when it comes to re-assembling your carb. Checking the choke system and the fuel accelerators before you start your bike, will be a good thing to keep in mind. Don’t worry if you are spending a lot of time doing the re-assembly if this is your first time. The important thing is that after 2-3 times, you’ll get a hang of it and will be able to do it without the full-blown diagram.