If you are looking to gift your child an ATV, it wouldn’t be too uncommon, primarily if your kid has grown up in an environment where he has seen quads lying around the house. If your child has been exposed to ATV’s at an early age and has spent his/her time riding around the country on them, it’s only going to be a matter of time before he expects one for himself.
One thing to be entirely sure of is when you are gifting your child an ATV, the first thing to discuss with them and drill into their hands is the importance of safety. They should understand the safety standards and regulations, the safety precautions that come with the ATV, and of course, the importance of wearing a helmet. There are a lot of ATV’s who have been designed to ensure some of those criteria; however, it is important to communicate the responsibility that comes with it.
With a great engine, power comes great responsibility.
There are many incidents recorded in the United States of children below the age of 16 suffering from ATV-related injuries . Some cases , have resulted in a fatality. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that children in the age group of 6-11 do not ride engines that are larger than 70 CC.
When you are choosing a bike for your 9-year old, it is important to understand whether your child is ready for it. By that, we mean that he should be physically ready to handle the bike as well. Physical qualities would mean his size, weight, strength, mind-body coordination, and cognitive factors such as judgment, discipline, patience, and commitment.
As an adult, if you are to make an honest evaluation of your kids’ readiness, then choosing the right size of the ATV would be a lot easier. It is important to mention here that choose a size larger than what would be comfortable is not the wisest decision to make, as apart from the safety hazards it can have, a child also might easily get bored with it.
This 4- wheeler for 9- year olds
Our top pick for your 9-year old most definitely goes to the Honda TRX90X. It’s almost as if this ATV was designed to handle the mood swings of a passionate 9-year old.
- One of the biggest advantages of the Honda TRX90X is that your kid will not have to worry about it stalling on a steep hill since they come with an automatic transmission.
- The design of the ATV has also been built keeping in mind a generic shape and size of larger models, so even though your child is going to be riding a kid version of the ATV, they aren’t going to feel like it.
- Also, on an empathetic note, Honda is done us all a ton of good by building quiet engines for this ATV for 9-year olds. This is done so that your grandparents sleeping at home are not going to be bothered by the rumbling sound of the engine.
- The Honda TRX is also going to be your best option when you are considering the weight and size of your child and if they are big, then a 50Cc engine quad might not be the best option.
- This 4-wheeler comes in with rev limiters, so you are not going to worry about speed and will know how to slow down to an appropriate level, as and when required.
- In this one, the shocks are designed for smaller children, so in case the adults at home want to try it out, joy-riding on this one might not be the best option.
- This 4-wheeler for 9-year olds comes with a rear-wheel drive, which means that you have to ensure that the child is careful while going up-hill since there are chances of the infamous phenomenon of ‘wheel spin’ developing.
- The Honda TRX 90X is supported by a chain and a sprocket, which can not withstand debris from getting trapped in it while being driven.
- The safest thing to do is to accompany your child on the first few trails so that he or she gets the hang of it.
- This is where you acquaint them with more knowledge of how to maneuver by themselves on the trail and understand what they should look out for.
- If things go wrong, while you are accompanying them, you can show them how to get out of it, and they will feel a lot safer while on their own.
4-Wheelers for Teenagers
You’re going to have to understand that a teenager will want to flaunt off their ATV in front of their friends. While making a decision, it is important to be aware of that while also putting safety precautions. It’ll help if you go for an ATV that considers safety precautions as one of their standard offerings, making it a win-win for all.
Choosing the right size of the ATV can be one of the most challenging things you’ve had to do. Here you were thinking that choosing one for yourself was enough, right? Wait till you have to deal with choosing your teenager at home.
Fortunately, some brands have done the work for us. Let us look at some of the top 4-wheelers for teenagers.
Honda is taking the market by storm when it comes to ATV’s for teenagers and kids. This model has been considered the perfect choice for teenagers. The engine that is selected for these ATV’s is power-packed and gives the impression of a rotary engine, but is also perfectly safe.
The shift change gives it a superior edge and is the main attractive component of this model. The gear-box is pretty straight-forward to use, and there have been almost no complaints of it stalling, making it the perfect choice for teenagers.
Unfortunately, one of its main drawbacks is its noisy engine as it has been built as a sports model. There’s another thing that you must know, if you are looking for storage capacity for equipment OR looking to take your pal out for a spin, your teenager is likely to be disappointed.
Tao Tao 110CC ATV Fully Automatic
If you are in a mood to celebrate, this will be the best option for your teenager. The Tao Tao 110CC comes in with several features and benefits. Let us discuss some of them.
- Your teenager needs a gas-powered engine that you can just guzzle for the entire day without having to go through the trouble of charging batteries. Powered by a 110CC engine, it is meant to deliver incredible power to this quad under diverse conditions.
- A common phenomenon and something that you should anticipate is your kids speeding on the ATV. This can sometimes be dangerous, as we have discussed above. This model has come with speed monitors that will not allow the child to go beyond a certain speed to combat this.
- The automatic transmission system can be an extremely important addition to an ATV because it faces it. Your teenager is more interested in riding with their hair flying in the wind than to constantly worry about what manual transmission systems. This 4-wheeler for teenagers comes with an automatic transmission system so that your teenager can focus on just having fun.
- The suspensions on this model are fairly impressive, which means that it is a safe option for your kids, especially if they are inexperienced riders. Sometimes, it takes a while to build control and navigate your ATV, and these suspensions take care of that aspect.
Kawasaki Brute Force 300
Even though this is used a lot by adults, but if you feel that your teenager has the cognitive and physical readiness for this, trust us, this is not something that will disappoint. The engine is reasonably big at 271CC and comes with an automatic transmission system, which translates into an easy ride.
The good thing about the Kawasaki Brute Force 300 is its braking system. Kawasaki uses front and rear brakes, which can be a little difficult to get used to initially. However, if the environment at home is serious when it comes to ATVs, and you would like to invest in your teenagers’ future riding skills, then this has got to be your choice.
Having these front and rear brakes can also be an advantage if you think about it. Knowing that there is something extra they have to think about, your teenager might go slower. It can be one of your top options if you want your teenager to test the waters.
Four-Wheelers for Kids
Rosso Motors Kids ATV
Let us reconcile that safety is a primary concern for us when it comes to buying an ATV for kids. For this purpose, we have chosen the Rosso Motors Kids ATV because it comes with a disk braking system and a three-speed monitor level that allows your kids to focus on enhancing their skills in a safe environment.
This 4-wheeler for kids comes in attractive blue and pink colors and is ideal for kids in the age group of 3-8 years old. It has a 36V battery, a 500W motor, and all-terrain tires. This ATV looks tough through and through.
You should be careful about the handle grip throttles, which might be something that younger kids might have to lean into and get used to.
Razor Dirt Squad
Do you remember longing for the Razor scooter when you were a child? Well, imagine a present where your child can live your dreams and take it one step further, do it through a quad! The timeless brand of Razor has come in with their latest quad offering, and boy, do they impress! This is a battery-powered quad that comes with a grip acceleration control and dynamic suspension system. This small best of a quad can take on riders up to 120 pounds, making it something that your future riders will love keeping.
It has a sleek design, and manufacturing is up-to-the-mark. With Razor-quality manufacturing, you can’t expect anything else. The only thing we would watch out for is the no speed-monitor, which can be an advantage and a disadvantage.
Peg Perego Polaris Outlaw Citrus
If you want to imagine your 3-year old or your 7-year old on an ATV, riding around without fear, then this would be our pick. It comes in very attractive colors, which can be very appealing for a child and accommodate all the necessary safety features.
With low top-speed and parental speed control, it is meant to cater to a child and parents looking for a unique experience. Its slowest speed is about 2.5 miles per hour, so this will be an absolute treat for smaller children. It has all the components that a child would love playing around with while giving it the look and the feel of a proper quad.
The reversible mode and the rechargeable battery make it the perfect cocktail of excitement and safe. This little thing also comes with all-terrain tires that will follow you alongside dirt roads as well as the grass in your backyard. It has a poppy citrus color that will be an instant favorite with your child when it comes to color.
The one drawback that we have heard about this ATV is its long-charging time. With battery-powered vehicles, this will always be the concern, and this is the trade-off that one has to make if safety is their priority concern.
Barbie Kawasaki KFX
Well, although in the 21st century, this image might seem a little reductive of what girls like and dislike, nevertheless, the Barbie Kawasaki KFX is a hot favorite amongst future girl ATV riders.
This one is ideal for kids up to 70 pounds, and it offers forward and reverse motion, Power lock brakes, and can pull you through serious terrain. If you are looking to create an ATV track/trail in your backyard, then do not underestimate the capacity of this quad because its Monster traction tires will crush your trail in no time. The speed can average between 2.5-5 mph, but it comes with a speed monitor for first-time riders.
Yamaha 4-wheelers for kids
A model that does deserve special mention here is the Yamaha series for kids and the youth, and here, we will discuss the Yamaha Grizzly 90.
Yamaha Grizzly 90 has been designed for the young riders, who want to explore unknown terrain and their family and friends. The Grizzly 90 comes with friendly features and an electric start, a large comfortable seat, and front and rear racks.
It has a pretty low-maintenance 90cc engine that is just about the range you want your kids to start on. It also comes with a fully automatic transmission with a reverse shifter, an electric start, with a back-up kickstart, just in case.
They have taken into consideration safety precautions ensuring that parents have full control over its use. Let us discuss some of those features:
- Keyed ignition for parents’ guidance
- Adjustable speed limiter on the throttle to restrict the throttle lever movement to control acceleration and speed.
- Heat shields on the exhaust to protect the kids from the hot components, to prevent skin damage.
- Two-stage rpm limiter that limits the device rpm. This is adjustable, so as the skills improve, the limiter can be removed to unleash its full power from 4900 pm to 8500 pm.
Polaris 4 wheelers for kids
Polaris is a brand that you can trust when it comes to 4-wheelers for kids. You will especially appreciate the effort they have taken in their design for kids and the youth, highlighting the ergonomic design and the consistency in their manufacturing.
Polaris Outlaw 70 EFI
The engine comes with an upgraded 70cc engine that has been designed for the age group of 6-10-year olds. It comes with parental speed control, allowing you to let your child ride without the fear of safety.
- Adjustable speed control
- Single-lever disc brakes
- LED Lights
- 4″ front and rear suspension travel
Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI
The Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI goes one step further when it comes to design and specifications and is meant for kids from 10 to up. They have a single A-arm with 5″ front suspension travel. It has dual front running lights, a single rear brake-light/tail-light.
The standard features include:
- A safety flag
- Parent-adjustable speed control
- One color-coordinated youth helmet
- Safety tether
4-Wheelers for 6-year olds
Let us look at our top pick, our 6-year olds because, let’s face it, there are videos of 4-year olds that are doing crazy stunts with their quads. Gone are the days were six years old was too early.
Power Wheels Dune Racer ATV
The power wheels dune racer can be the perfect initiator for your 6-year old. It has been designed as an off-road vehicle, so it is meant for outdoor use. Its Monster traction tires allow your child to battle with the gravel and the grass and on hard surfaces, emerging as the winner.
- Anti-skid braking system
- Speed of 8 mph forward and four mph backward, which, let’s face it, is quite good, compared to other models.
- Sturdy and durable metal sidebars, which are perfect for support.
- Ground clearance is low. So, the chances of the child falling on the ground are quite low.
4-Wheelers for 7-year olds
Razor Dirt Quad
Well, we are going to have to settle in, our pick, when it comes to 4-wheelers for 7-year olds. This razor dirt quad is quite perfect in its design as well as its build. It has a maximum speed of about eight mph and has a weight capacity of 120 lbs.
It is electric-powered, and the battery has been designed to last for as long as 40 minutes on a single charge.
- Quite compact
- Adjustable handle toggles for a rider of any size
- Rear suspension with a coil shock absorber that will make it a soft ride
- The battery life of 40 minutes on a full charge.
4-wheelers for eight and 9-year olds
Razor 500 DLX
This particular quad is perfect if your child is eight or above. The construction of the ATV has been designed so it is perfectly suited for off-road terrain. One thing to note here is that it is suitable for those riders who have exhausted the smaller quads’ potential. The construction material’s quality is superior, which can support a weight capacity of about 220 pounds. It is powered by a 500 W motor with high torque and an interior gear system with a self-adjusting chain strap.
- Extremely versatile and durable.
- Perfectly suited for all kinds of terrains
- Easy to ride, and the shock absorbers make it a smooth ride.
Four wheelers for 10-year olds and 11-year olds
Tao Adult Size ATV
Ok, now we have moved on to the real deal. If you are looking to initiate your kid into the big riders’ league, this has got to be your obvious choice. Tao is a brand that is known for its sleek design and arrives almost fully assembled. One thing to watch out for is that it comes with a specification manual that might be a little difficult for your kid to digest if they are less than ten years of age. It comes with a 200cc engine and a manual clutch that requires a little more attention to detail and patience.
- Dual brake system, allowing for the vehicle to stop at any time
- Independent shock system that ensures a smooth ride
- Electric start transmission.
- Speed monitor
When you want to consider ATVs, specifically for 10-year olds, we would recommend the Tao Adult size ATV or the Razor Dirt Quad. The PowerSports Kids ATV is a great option if you are looking at ATV’s for 10-year olds.
Powersports is a great budget ATV if you are looking at keeping your kids thoroughly entertained. It is a 110-cc beast with a completely automatic operation. It can accommodate about 150-180 pounds of weight. It has a speed limiter, so you don’t have to be worried about safety. The height from the seat and the foot-hold is enough, so this is not something you need to worry about if your child grows up faster than anticipated.
Another one to consider while buying ATV’s for 10-year olds has got to be the Coolster 110CC ATV. The number one reason for buying the Coolster is because it offers maximum control overriding, while it uses the suspension and the hydraulic system. This 110Cc vehicle can withstand a lot of heat on terrain and hold up to 200 pounds of weight.
Buying an ATV for your child can be a fulfilling experience, especially when you want to avoid just filling up their cupboard with regular toys. Always remember that safety should be a priority, and there are enough models out there that are offering the prescribed safety standards that you need. Some of the best models out there have kill switches, so that means they don’t even have to know when you want them to be done for the day. Ok, we’ve already said too much. Keep Riding!